It was my birthday last week. No, this isn’t a ploy to get you to say Happy Birthday to me, but thank you. I will take it.
I must have done something incredible, because I got the privilege of racing my bike on my birthday. And not just any bike race, a time trial! It was destined to be wonderful. Or so I thought. Then they threw the TT up to Big Bear Lake at the comfortable altitude of 7000ft and I didn’t want to play anymore. I finished 8th.
Altitude and bike race aside, it was my birthday. I got to be a princess for the day. I try to be a princess every day, but at least in this moment, it was my excuse to dawn the tiara in reality.
And what does a really cool bike racer do on her birthday time trial?
1. Warm up in a tiara. Why not?
2. Get a fancy new DA from Felt Bicycles. Happy Birthday to me.
3. Add my gift of yellow roses to a host housing basement situation and bag explosion. Classy.
4. Get a birthday cake with my name spelled wrong, but it was delicious. My teammates didn’t have the numbers 2-8, so they used numbers that added up to 28. I’m 98. Someone call 911.
5. My generous hosts also placed a 12 ft inflatable lawn balloon in our front yard. Yes, it is my birthday.
6. I did get to spend a moment with some people that I love and doing something I loved. Now, that is a good birthday. Thank you for all the birthday wishes, notes, and the surprise visits and gifts! I am truly blessed.